Tuesday, December 3, 2013

What the hell do I do all day, anyway?

Classic question of the stay-at-home mom: what do you do all day? Six months in & I'm still not sure. Let's see. 
Today, Tuesday, December 6, 2013, a fairly typical stay at home day with my almost six month old girl. 
(Some days we get out & about, but at least a couple days a week we have no car & we stay home. Today was one of those days). 
6am-7am: wake up & nurse, go back to sleep. 
7am: repeat step one, dad leaves around 7:30. 
8am-9am: Iris actually sleeps, while I lay in bed next to her & wish I could go back to sleep, since she's sleeping, which is so very rare lately. But I can't, of course. 
9am: Iris wakes up. She nurses. We hang out snugging in bed for a while (one of my favorite times of the day-she's always in an awesome mood when she first wakes up). 
9:30am-10am: we get up.  Diaper change. I put Iris in her bassinet in the kitchen & I tend to the fire in the wood stove & make coffee & clean up the kitchen & do the previous night's dishes. I also really enjoy this part of the morning. 
10am-11am: we sit down with my coffee & Iris sits on my lap & has a snack. I look at Facebook. I read her some books. 

11am-11:30am: Iris starts to get cranky. We attempt to both get dressed. 
11:30am-12pm: Iris continues to be very cranky, & I attempt to nurse her to sleep. She briefly sleeps next to me. I get to read for a few minutes. 
12-12:30pm: Iris wakes up. We feed the dog & cat & chickens & take the dog outside for a short walk up the hill. 
12:30-1pm: we come back inside, & Iris nurses some more. We attempt tummy time, but Iris just rolls over immediately so I give up. 
1-1:30pm: Iris goes back in the bassinet in the kitchen & I tend to the wood stove again & clean some more & make myself a cheese & mayo & sriracha sandwich. 

1:30-2pm: I try to get Iris to hang out in her crib so I can do laundry. There is plenty of fussing, but I get the laundry into the machine somehow. I also manage to throw the chickens some bread leftover from Thanksgiving & do some random tidying up. 
2-3:30pm: we take the dog for a walk in the woods. It's lovely. It's a gorgeous day. 

3:30-4pm: we return the dog to the house, & go check the mail. Then we watch the chickens for a while, & take some pictures on my iPhone in the yard. 

4-4:30pm: we sit on the couch & nurse & listen to NPR.
4:30-5pm: I attempt to deal with the laundry some more. 
5-5:30pm: Iris by some miracle sits in her chair car thing & I address some holiday cards. 

5:30-6pm: dad comes home, because he is awesome he starts a pizza crust for dinner while I hold Iris & let her watch him. 
6-6:30pm: we hang our with dad. 
6:30-7pm: I feed the animals their dinner. Then I give Iris a bath, put on her jammies, & read her a book (the Olivia Christmas book). I nurse her to sleep.
7-7:30pm: Iris sleeps! I continue to work on holiday cards.

7:30-8pm: Iris wakes up. I go back to nursing her to sleep. Dad makes a pizza.
And now we come to the present. I am writing this while attempting to nurse Iris 
back to sleep. Fingers crossed that this works & dad & I can actually eat that pizza. 
Maybe as some big excitement we will watch some tv on the internet & I'll get to take a shower. 
Now: 
Others mamas reading this-what do your days look like? This is all so crazy to me, sometimes, our days together. How do I get so little done? How does the time pass so quickly & so slowly at the same time? Does anyone know? 

No comments:

Post a Comment